I first read about oat milk on The Oatmeal Artist's blog. I didn't try it until I received the cookbook Oatrageous Oatmeals this Christmas, however. It's pretty simple and pretty yummy if you like the flavor of oats.
The ingredients are simple: rolled oats and milk. Only here, I added cinnamon and ginger for their health benefits. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar, while ginger calms the stomach. This is a good drink to pair with breakfast (though it doesn't have much protein, so if you need that, make sure to add in another food.)
1/4 c rolled oats
1 1/4 c water, divided
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t vanilla
1. In a glass blender, soak 1/4 c rolled oats and 1 c filtered water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Blend water and oats and strain through a sieve.
3. Transfer oat puree in sieve back to blender with 1/4 c water and blend again.
4. Strain liquid in blender and add to oat milk.
5. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the oat milk, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir continually until milk riches a boil and thickens slightly.
6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
7. Transfer to a mug and enjoy.