Wednesday, February 27, 2019

How The Fifteen Minute Rule Is Helping Me Give Myself Grace


I have a new rule for life: the 15 minute rule. It started as our rule for work appointments. We wait 15 minutes, and if you come in 15 minutes, great! Otherwise, we cancel the appointment.

I don't cancel on life if I'm 15 minutes late, but if I get to something within 15 minutes, I count it as a win. I'm specifically using the 15 minute rule for bedtime. I've been onto myself for not getting to bed on time, but I rarely ever make that time. So I've decided to give myself 15 minutes from that set time, and if I get in bed by then, I congratulate myself. So far, it's working.

The 15 minute rule is a way to give myself grace, with limits. It's not a free-for-all. It doesn't mean I can purposely dilly-dally. But it allows me to give myself a little wiggle-room and less stress.

This rule obviously doesn't apply to all life things. I need to leave for work on time, get to work on time, go to the doctor at the scheduled appointment time, etc. But when it comes to non-essentials, like bedtimes and exercise times and preferred deadlines, it works.

Shauna Niequist wrote on Instagram a while back, “Six weeks. Give it six weeks. Extra grace, patience, and understanding for all parties for six weeks.”

I'm revising: “Fifteen minutes. Give it 15 minutes. Extra grace, patience, and understanding for all parties for 15 minutes.”

Grace with accountability. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment