Friday, April 7, 2017

Yoga Revolution (Yoga with Adriene) Review


I wrote earlier about my experience with 30 Days of Yoga. I enjoyed that journey, the mental discipline, the time-management, the body practice. And now I've completed another journey: The 31 Day Yoga Revolution with Adriene Mischler. I learned about Yoga with Adriene from a friend who posted lovely photos of her yoga journey on Instagram. After a month off daily yoga practice (goodbye February), I wanted to get back into it. So I signed up.

Let's just say I wasn't a fan. Adriene's yoga is slower and more meditative. Hatha style, not vinyasa. Strength, not stamina focused. Adriene talks a lot. About things other than yoga. She's silly, and sometimes inappropriate, borderline crude. She's way into self-love. And maybe to an unhealthy extent. I found myself unhappy, frustrated after sessions. I started adding ten minutes of Fitness Blender before the yoga. (These videos are shorter than many of Do Yoga With Me's challenges.) That helped a little. But I still found myself angsty.

I completed the final day of the challenge last Friday, and I was grateful. I have to admit that video surprised me a little, though. Adriene didn't talk and just practiced. I had to really watch to follow. I had to focus. This practice contained more flows. More chatarunga. I liked the music in the background. At the end, I finally got into crow (only for a few seconds, but it still counts). I left feeling strong and proud and happy. I think that's what Adriene wanted for her yogis.

So did I enjoy the 31 Day Yoga Revolution? No, not really. Will I continue with another of Adriene's challenges? (Hello, 30 Days of Yoga or Yoga Camp.) Probably not. Yoga with Adriene is not my style. But I still learned from this experience. I practiced discipline. I processed frustration. I got stronger. 
I let myself feel.

It's okay to dislike. It's okay for something to not be my thing. But what's important is working through the struggle and discomfort, accepting them, accepting myself in the process. That's the revolution.

3 comments:

  1. I haven’t fully completed the 30 day challenge with Adriene, but I’ve picked out various videos whenever I’m craving a practice, and I LOVE her. She’s so calm and relaxed, which is why I go for her yoga. I totally get you on the reasons why you aren’t a fan of her. That’s what I love about yoga though! What works for me could be wrong for someone else- but we can all still practice a form of yoga. There is yoga out there for everyone. I just think that’s so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautifully written. I love your conclusion. Adriene is my first experience after injury and being quite mature (AKA old)the slowness of her practice has been a great starting point for me. I LOVE that you did not slam her and had the patience to finish her 30 day program. I think we sometimes forget what we get out of things we "don't like" and fail to follow through on those things as well as under appreciating them. Namaste..seeing the light in those around us-we can all use more of that in this world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Interestingly enough, I have done a few of Adriene's 30 day challenges since they and have enjoyed them more. See my review on "Home" from February of this year. :)

      Delete