Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Forgiveness, and Why It Matters in Marriage


I washed my husband's wallet the other day. It was an accident, I promise. But it was also due to carelessness. I should have checked the pockets. I didn't. And in my husband's defense, he hadn't actually put the jeans in the laundry hamper. I had found and taken them for laundry because I wanted more to fill the machine.

Anyway, I digress. My husband needed his wallet the day I washed it. Having washed out receipts for work and a wet billfold to carry around in his back pocket couldn't have been fun. But he just laughed and said the wallet would dry. He forgave and showed me grace, instantaneously. 

I can't say I'm always as quick to forgive as my husband. (I married a good man.) But I can say that forgiveness is huge in our marriage. It helps us keep a clean slate. It prevents roots of bitterness from growing. It reminds us that we're human and undeserving of God's great grace and mercy.

Do we sometimes screw up? Often! Do we sometimes disagree. Sometimes. But by God's grace, we're practicing forgiveness. 

So friends, if your mate did something to offend you, advertedly or inadvertently, may I suggest forgiveness? It's work, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment