Thursday, May 28, 2020

Not the Races I Planned to Run

My two favorite races got cancelled this year. Okay, well most races are my favorite (except the ones that aren't). Anyway, I ran neither Pat's Run nor the Whiskey Row 10K this year, at least on the scheduled dates. I gave up on training and even took April completely off running. But then Pat's Run shipped me my bib, medal, and t-shirt. I felt I had to run, or at least I wanted to, so I got out and did it.


I wasn't fast, but I wasn't as slow as the first time. And I hadn't been training. Completion of the run was my win.

I wasn't going to run the 10K because I hadn't trained for it either, but then I decided to run it too. I didn't race. I ran. I ran not for time, but for completion, and I finished. Praise Jesus.

There were not the races I planned to run. I'd gotten down to an 8:11 minute mile in training, and I wanted to practice it. But when the plans I made got cancelled and I decided to break from training, I didn't know when or if I'd run, or run far ever again. 

Returning to running after rest reminded me that running is not all about the races. Running to run, not to race, has been good for my psyche. Race-less days have granted freedom in my schedule. Completing races virtually has made me more relaxed. Running is a blessing in and of itself. I look forward to competing again, but until then, I'm thankful for every day I get to run in this race of life I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment