Wednesday, September 22, 2021

What We Meal Prep (aka The Master List)

I previously posted an example of a meal prep week for us. I also posted why we meal prep. I have not yet posted a list exploring more of how we carry out meal prep, however. This is that post.

As explained in my "Why We Meal Prep" post, my husband and I work away from home for long hours during the week. This means that we pretty much prep all of our weekdays meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and some snacks. That leaves the weekends free to cook, eat leftovers, or go out. So without further ado, here is our list of things we prep every week, as well as ideas of what we make for meals that are not "standard" (aka the main meal, or dinner).

Breakfast:

Granola

Instant pot hard-boiled eggs

Overnight oatmeal

My lunches:

Instant Pot shredded chicken

Salads or steamed vegetables

(We make sandwiches for my husband.)

Main meal:

Tacos for Tuesday

Other meals that reheat well: pasta salad, soup, stew, stir-fry with sauce (which helps rice soften when microwaved)

Snacks:

Baked oatmeal

Bananas (Peeled and frozen)

Carrot sticks (Unless we have purchased baby carrots as a splurge-whole carrots are cheaper)

Iced Tea

Other things we prep:

Cookie dough (formed into balls and frozen)

Hot chocolate mix (cinnamon, cocoa powder, ground flax seed, and powdered milk for my version-I make this by the cup)

Sauces

Spice blends (cheaper to make than to buy, for the most part)

Vitamins (Yes, I am an old lady and have a pill organizer with spots for each day, morning and evening)



Staple items we buy each week that require no prep:

Apples

Dried fruit

Granola bars

Peanuts



--

Our weekday meals are not glamorous or fancy, but they are nourishing, mostly whole food, and fit within our values and budget. We still like and enjoy fun food, and more elaborate cooking when we can, but for now, meal prep gets us by for the bulk of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment