Monday, January 8, 2018

How I'm Trying to Redeem My Time

After constantly complaining about how little time I have, I decided to do a little experiment on myself. I decided to "audit" my time by writing down everything I did. I hoped to realize what was and wasn't taking me "so long," in an attempt to save time and use my time more wisely. Want to try this yourself? It's pretty simple. Just find some paper (I used my journal) and try to jot down the appropriate time it takes to do each task of your day. How specific you get is up to you.

Here are a few examples of my own time audits:

Day 1

Day 2

What did I learn from this experiment? 
  • Although I can do my devotions in 3o minutes, I need to allow extra time to get up and actually get around to doing them.
  • It takes me a lot longer to do some chores than I think. For example, I estimated that hanging out the laundry took five minutes. It takes more like 15 minutes. 
  • Two minutes on social media is more like twenty, and night time is a black hole for social media use. If I don't use social media at night, I have a sliver of time for a relaxing activity like crochet, writing on this blog, or reading.
Will I continue the time audits? Maybe not everyday, but on occassion, yes. Time auditing takes time, but it also keeps me accountable.

Time efficient friends, any other suggestions or tips for making better use of time? Please share in the comments section below. 

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I don't exactly do a time audit, but I've recently created a huge spread sheet to track my budget and over all household items. I've been trying to integrate into my routine, going over it each day and making sure I'm doing the things I NEED to do and then following up with things I know I LIKE to do, then "waste" time doing other things like social media. It's actually been pretty helpful with my time management. It's for sure a break for me from a planner and a little bit more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spreadsheet sounds overwhelming to me, but if it works, you go for it, girl!

      And yes, doing needs to do before the likes is good, but a hard discipline!

      Delete