Saturday, January 27, 2018

Healthy Homemade Cereal

I've eaten a lot of cereal since moving home. I didn't buy cereal very often when I lived on my own, so I guess now I'm making up for it. Like I eat cereal almost every night for a bedtime snack.



As part of my bucket list project, I wanted to try a new cereal. But then I got to thinking that I should make a new cereal. One of my Instagram friends posted about making cereal last week, and so I embarked on the cereal-making journey. 

I'd pinned several recipes for homemade cereal after constructing my bucket list, but I decided on this one from Southern Kissed. I didn't have oat bran and I'm not a fan of sugary sweet cereal, so I adapted the recipe and made it my own. Then I shoved my concoction in the oven and waited.



What emerged was a somewhat soft, definitely hardy version of granola. I'm not sure it's like cracklin' oat bran (as per the original recipe) since I left out the bran, but it's definitely good enough to share. I ate the cereal plain for my first bowl, but I mixed it in with other cereals afterwards (as per the first photo). It definitely grew on me, and after a week, it's all gone!

If you want to make a batch of this hearty cereal for yourself, follow the recipe below.





Ingredients:


2 1/2 c rolled oats (divided)
1/2 c dried coconut
1/2 c ground flax seed
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
2 T maple syrup
2 T olive oil
1 t vanilla


Directions:


1. Place one cup rolled oats in the food processor and grind to a coarse powder.
2. Add the remaining dry ingredients and pulse 5-6 times.
3. Add wet ingredients and process until the liquids has dispersed.
4. Place on a greased pan and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
5. Allow cereal to cool on the pan. Then break into clumps and store in an air-tight container.

If you try this recipe, please comment below and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment