Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Lent 2023: Less for More

My favorite holiday awaits: Easter. But first, Lent. That season of lack. That season of giving up, clearing out, cleaning out. Intentional fasting to make more room for Jesus.

I struggle with Lent every year. I don't want to give things up. Most years, though, the Lord shows me something I need to give up. And He shows up when I do.

Fasting is a choice. It is not required. In fact, biblically speaking, fasting is never commanded by Jesus (Anderson, 2021). Fasting is, however, expected. In the Bible, fasting is a response to sin, a way to mourn, and a way to seek God's face for favor and fulfillment. That last part is where I want to land this year. I want to approach Lent not ascetically, but with a heart that hungers for the spiritual more than the physical. A heart that is filled and contented with Jesus.

I can tend towards ascetism, especially during Lent. This year, I want to focus on enjoying what I have. I want to focus on how deprivation can lead me to indulge more in God and His goodness (Rubin, 2023). God is always enough. He is always here. He always provides. While I simplify my life more during Lent, though, I hope I see this more. So here's to the less of Lent and the more of Jesus. May God bless it for His name's sake. Amen.

References:

Anderson, J. (2021, September 19). "Mark 2:18-22 - Divine Truth & Human Tradition Do Not Mix" [Audio recording]. Grace Bible Church. https://www.gbcaz.org/sermon/mark-218-22-divine-truth-human-tradition-do-not-mix/

Rubin, G. (2023, January 3). Trying Dry January? Turn deprivation into indulgence. Gretchen Rubin. https://gretchenrubin.com/articles/turn-deprivation-into-indulgence/


No comments:

Post a Comment