Friday, March 10, 2023

Real Life Marriage: Let Him Dream.

"I learned to let him dream," my mom told me. I listened as she shared what she learned in her Love and Respect group at church. I didn't quite understand at the time, but somehow, I filed that comment away. Now that I am married, I understand more of what she meant.

My husband, just like my dad, is a perceiver. He likes to think, and talk, about possibilities. Many times, he has no intent of doing anything with his knowledge. He just likes to share. Really, it is an honor that he shares. He shares because this is part of his life. He shares because he can trust me.

I can tend to get all bent out of shape when he shares, especially when he shares about things that are beyond our reach. How would we ever afford that gadget, or that vacation? Where in the world would we find time to do that hobby? The thing is that he often doesn't intend to do those things. I'm over-reacting to him sharing. And you know what? That spoils the moment.

My husband supports my dreams (most of them having to do with running). Sure, as a judging personality, I rarely reach for big things. I want concrete goals. But still, he's the one getting up ridiculously early in the morning to drive me to races, carting my things around, etc. He puts up with my silly celebrations and random cooking projects. If he supports me, I can surely support him!

Supporting my husband's dreams most of the time just means listening, putting down what I'm doing to really hear him out. Most of the time, that's what he wants. Sometimes, yes, he asks for resources, but that is few and far between, and he respects our budget. I am thankful for that.

"Let him dream," my mom said. Yep, let him dream. It's part of marriage (at least my marriage). It's part of being a supportive wife. It's part of moving towards my "dream" of having a more satisfying, fulfilling, faithful, God-honoring marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment