Monday, August 28, 2023

Hard Times Teach Me To Be Present.

Difficult times always teach me something. I may not like it, but it is true, and sometimes, I probably would not learn that lesson any other way. Lately, hard times have been teaching me to be present. 

I often struggle to live in the present, but presently, in this hard time, the ability to do so has become even more salient. In the midst of hard times, all my nervous system can handle is the now, and barely, at that. I often think of the verses in 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 where Paul writes, "We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself....But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead" (New International Version, 2011). I can handle the present only by relying on God's strength, not for today, or for tomorrow, but for now.

This hard time is teaching me to be present because I truly do not know what the future holds. I never really do, but it has become more apparent this time around. All I can do is try to be faithful in the moment, waiting and trusting that God will also give me strength to handle whatever comes in the future.

I hate hard times, really, I do, but God is sovereign over all. Therefore, I have to learn to accept this trial as something good from his hand. Maybe this will turn out good for me. Maybe it won't. What matters most is that it will turn out for the good of showing God's glory to the world. To be part of that is a present, and perhaps the greatest lesson that hard times can teach me. 

Reference:

New International Version. (2011). BibleGateway.com. http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/


No comments:

Post a Comment