Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Lemon Molasses Oatmeal

It is about time that I experimented with oatmeal again. I knocked over the bottle of lemon extract the last time I reached for some spices in my cupboard, so I decided to incorporate it into this somewhat atypical recipe. The combination of tangy lemon and sweet molasses is not too unusual in the cooking realm, as I had it as a dressing over a Greek salad at a local restaurant. As an oatmeal combination, however, it might seem a bit odd. Try it, though, you just may like it.


As usual, I added applesauce to the oatmeal base, but then I amped up the flavor with the lemon and a drizzle of molasses. I topped my oatmeal with peanut butter, as I often do, but you could top yours with almond butter, cooked apples, or eat it bare.


Ingredients:



1/2 c rolled oats
1 c water
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 t lemon extract
Drizzle of molasses


Topping(s) of your choice-peanut butter, almond butter, cooked apples, or other fruit.


Directions:



1. Bring water and oats to a boil and reduce heat to medium. (I find that cooking my oats in the water from the beginning makes them creamier.)
2. When oats reach the desired consistency, stir in the applesauce and lemon extract. Simmer oatmeal on low until some of the liquid from the applesauce absorbs and the oats become thick and rich.
3. Transfer oatmeal to a bowl and drizzle with molasses. Add topping(s) as desired.


Notes:



I recently switched from quick oats to rolled (old-fashioned oats). I ate a few too many bowls of quick oatmeal while sick and became slightly averse to the consistency. I like the hearty, chewy texture of rolled oats, but feel free to use quick oats for a creamier bowl of porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment