Saturday, January 16, 2016

Peanut Butter Chocolate Applesauce Oatmeal

My All-Time Favorite Oatmeal Recipe





If you know me, you know I love oatmeal. After stumbling across The Oatmeal Artist's Blog a few years ago, I started becoming more creative with my oatmeal. I tried the Brownie Batter Oatmeal and learned that adding cocoa powder to oatmeal is a beautiful thing. Next, I tried the Sweet Potato Fudge Oatmeal and found that stirring other foods into my oatmeal wasn't such a bad idea. One night, in desperate search for something rich and chocolate-y, I tried my own version of these recipes: Peanut Butter Chocolate Applesauce Oatmeal. Since then, it's been my go-to recipe for a decadent, but healthy breakfast or snack.

Ingredients:



1/2 c quick cooking oatmeal
1 c water
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
2 T natural peanut butter


Directions:



1. Bring water and oats to a boil and reduce heat to medium. (I find that cooking my oats in the water from the beginning makes them creamier.)
2. When oats reach the desired consistency, stir in the cocoa powder and applesauce. Simmer oatmeal on low until some of the liquid from the applesauce absorbs and the oats become thick and rich.
3. Transfer oatmeal to a bowl (or cup, as in my case) and top with the peanut butter.


Notes:



Yes, I often eat oatmeal out of a cup. It keeps the oats warm longer and makes the oatmeal conveniently portable. A special friend gave me this Wonder Woman cup and I use it often.



1 comment:

  1. Um ... that mug is AMAZING. I love you and I love this project of yours!

    ReplyDelete