Saturday, September 9, 2017

Patriot Run 2017

I remember the day, June 30, 2013 that I heard the news: The Yarnell Hill Fire had overrun and killed 19 of Arizona's best firefighters. I felt sick. I wanted to do something to help. I wanted to go home. But I was in Arkansas and going to graduate school, so I couldn't.

Four years later, here I am, back at home, working in my hometown community (not necessarily with these families, but with other families like theirs), having the opportunity to give back. I am so thankful.

One of the ways I give back is by running the Patriot Run each year. This run commemorates the lives of the victims of September 11, as well as honoring the Granite Mountain 19.The race starts and ends at the Prescott Valley Healing Field which contains an American flag for each September 11th victim, and a black and purple flag for each firefighter. Each flag contains a card giving the name and background of each person. Walking through the field is powerful. Reading the tags can be excruciatingly painful.

After the healing fields, the race course wraps around the civic center and goes through the town plaza. There a bagpiper plays. The course is a little confusing, but at least this time they had good traffic control so that I wasn't stuck waiting for lights to change in order to cross the street.


Last year, I ran the Patriot Run thanks to an invitation from my mom. I ran that race, my first back in Arizona, in 29:08 minutes. This year, I've been running slower, so I didn't expect to finish as well. (I also didn't get enough sleep last night.) But lo and behold, I finished in 28:17. I'm so excited! And thanks to my wonderfully supportive parents, I had cheerleaders and photographers on hand for the event. 

Here are a few of the photos from the race:





And I have to admit, this t-shirt logo is pretty cool:


Tell me: How do you commemorate important events in your community's history? What fun activities have you been up to lately?

Please share below.

No comments:

Post a Comment