Monday, October 23, 2017

Thank God for Junkyards (And Dads Who Know How to Use Them)

My dad might be "blue collar," and without a four year college degree, but he is one of the smartest and hardest working men I know. When his truck broke down this weekend, he could have gotten angry and depressed and decided his business was out of commission. Instead, he got creative in finding ways to fix the truck. 

Dad made not one, but three trips to Phoenix (two plus hours away) this weekend to try to find parts at the truck dealer. He tore apart and rebuilt his truck multiple times in between. No luck. He remained positive he would find a way to fix his truck and serve his customers, however.

This morning, Dad figured out a way to serve his customers with a smaller truck, and he did it. Then he went to Phoenix this afternoon. In a junkyard, he found a part that *might* fix his big truck. He tore apart his big truck again this evening to install the part. Then he took the truck for a test drive. Praise the Lord, the truck runs and drives again!

People look down on "rednecks," and they might think my dad is one. I mean, he just fixed his truck with a junkyard part. But you know what? It worked. It saved his business money. It got his truck ready to service customers again tomorrow. It was a creative solution, better even than the part the dealership could have offered.

I thank God for junkyards tonight. I thank God for my dad. I thank God "redneck" ideas. They work!


1 comment: