Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Arkansas, Actually

"Arkansas, actually." That's what I say when people ask me where I went to school. I received not one, but both of my degrees from a little school in Siloam Springs, Arkansas called John Brown University. It was by no means a perfect school, but I am thankful for it. And this past weekend, Chris and I got to return to celebrate the centennial anniversary of the school.


We started off our journey with an early morning trip to the airport. We of course got delayed in Dallas, but we took some good Texas pictures.


And I found some Twisted Root:


It took us a bit to get our rental car, but they were out of the economy model I requested, so we got to toodle around in this Hyundai Tucson


Off we went to the mall for some birthday shopping, and then to Hammontree's for some gourmet grilled cheese.


(I got the Ragin' Cajun, with andouille sausage and poblano peppers on cornmeal bread.)

Then off to our gracious hosts and to bed for the night.

I woke up decently early Friday morning and decided to go for my 4.5 mile jog. I forgot that Arkansas has hills....


Then it was off to the centennial chapel and time capsule opening. 


The time capsule opening was not that fantastic, but hearing them read what is going into the new time capsule was pretty funny. Who knows what will happen in the next 50 years? And seeing my best friends from college made everything all the better.


After the time capsule, it was alumni shopping time and lunch time. We visited my great aunt and uncle, I took Chris to see the camp where I spent some growing up years, and then we had dinner with our host family. 

Saturday was walk with a friend,



coffee time, rugby,


 and the Homegrown festival


Chris and I basically just hung out with my Arkansas best friend until lunch time. 


Lunch was the vegetarian burrito at La Huerta, an old favorite!

I napped Saturday afternoon because I was SO tired. Then we went to dinner at Barnett's.


(I mean, I really just went for the ice cream.)

Then off to the showcase and fireworks. 


The fireworks show was pretty epic if I do say so myself.


We had another early flight Sunday morning, more flight delays, and a long day in Phoenix, but it was worth it.


Sweet potato red pepper sandwich at Worth Takeaway


Here's to another 100 years, JBU, Lord willing!

1 comment:

  1. It sure was nice to see you while you were in Siloam Springs, and nice to meet Chris, too. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete