Thursday, October 10, 2019

Real Life Marriage: "In Sickness and In Health"


Photo by Sharon Lane


We pledged to love each other "in sickness and in health" in our wedding vows. I didn't quite realize how much we'd have to practice that. Chris got a terrible case of bronchitis a few weeks ago, leaving me to do most of the house stuff because he literally couldn't. Today, on our four month wedding anniversary, I have laryngitis and can barely speak. He drove me two hours to the neurologist to get botox for my dystonia. This is real married life, people.

Love is not always pretty. It is not always fun. It does not always mean being with the other person is enjoyable, either. I'm paranoid about germs. I hurt when Chris hurts. I wanted to "fix" his illness when he was sick, and I couldn't. Love was making tea. Love was fixing soup for dinner for days on end. Love was giving hugs and trusting the Lord with the results of my virus exposure. In all of these situations, love was a choice. And now Chris is doing the same for me.

For several days now, I haven't talked much at home in an attempt to save my voice. Chris has chosen to be with me even though I'm not good company. Chris had work today. He was the sole person responsible for a few things, yet he chose me over those to-dos. He chose to come with me and support me and hold my hand while I had needles poked into me and toxins injected. He chose to come with me to drive the two hours home afterward because I said my arm would hurt. He chose love. We both choose love.

Marriage is good. It is shaping. It is special and fun and all the good feels...at times. But is also hard and messy and germ-exposing. It is painful and more commiseration than camaraderie sometimes. But it's good and right.

Marriage is a commitment, and with the Lord's help, we're keeping ours:


...for better or for worse
...for richer or for poorer
...in sickness and in health

To love and to cherish, until death do us part or Jesus Christ returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment