Saturday, October 5, 2019

Becoming New: Marriage is a Remaking.


When I started feeling like God might want me to get married, I knew he had some rough edges to sand off. I knew I was stubborn and stupid and prideful and would need to change some of the ways I lived life. But man, marriage has been a lot more refining than mere sanding. It's like I'm on the pottery wheel, spinning at breakneck speed life, all the while being scraped and molded and formed into something something completely new.

Everything about marriage seems new. I'm forming new habits. I'm giving up old ones. I'm developing new allegiances. I'm dropping old ties. Things that used to matter don't matter so much, and things that used not to matter, matter. I'm tired and stressed and stretched and pressed. I don't always feel like I know myself, and the shape of what I'm turning into is unknown. Quite frankly, I often feel uncomfortable.

This is the process I committed to, however. This is what I promised to endure when I said, "For better or for worse...until death do us part." God knew what I needed. God knows the shape of what I will become.

Marriage is the making of a new family. It's two becoming one. It is also one becoming new, however. It's a reshaping of who I am, a re-becoming of the person God created me to be.

Refining? Yes. Remodeling? Yes. Marriage is all of these things. But ultimately marriage is a remaking, a remaking of everything about me. And that's okay. It's even good. Because the Potter on the wheel is in control, and His vision for my life is far beyond anything I could ever want or ask or imagine. To Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment