Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Things We Say, but Probably Shouldn't


"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise" (Prov 10:19, New King James Version).

Oh, words. I believe they have power, but yet we throw them around so lightly:

The weather is bipolar.
I have a love affair with....
I'm not married to that.
That's so retarded.
Shoot me.
I bet....

Words these are, but words that have meaning. Words that could demean. Words that could have offend. Bipolar disorder is a real illness, one the weather can't have. And perhaps if I say those words in the hearing of someone struggling with this disorder, I belittle their battle. Love is a powerful thing. To say I love a thing, or even more so, to have an affair with a thing, can demean love, and be an affront to the very real and important love I have with my husband in marriage. Some things may feel stupid or dumb, but retarded is not a good descriptive word to use. I might argue it is never a good word to use. And talking about killing is dangerous, especially to little ears who may not fully understand sarcasm. The betting phrase? A kid at worked called me out on it saying, "We don't bet." Duly noted. Gambling is not a habit I endorse, and my words should follow suit.

Words have power, friends. Are you using them wisely? I know I am convicted that I need to attend to my own words a little more carefully. Some more restraint might be in order, both for the respect of others, and for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment