Sunday, December 3, 2023

The Best Day

Sometimes I have a day I didn't know I needed. Saturday was that day.

As I headed out the door for my long run, the tag I put to help differentiate shoes caught my eye. "Live joyfully," it said. I thought, "Yes, that's what I want to do this season." Whether it was a Holy Spirit conviction, an intention (or both), I thought, "It's going to be a good day."


We had breakfast a little late, but my husband fixed pancakes. I REALLY like pancakes, so I could not complain. After breakfast, we chatted about priorities and ordered our Christmas cards. Then we headed out for shopping.


It takes a little bit to get from place to place in the city, but it felt like we had time. I tried on about four pairs of shoes at Big 5 Sporting Goods before picking a pair. With a coupon, they only cost $16. Woohoo! For walking/work shoes, these should do me just fine.

Walmart was crowded, but with my husband pushing the cart, it felt less arduous. We scored some things we needed (like shoe insoles $5 off because my mom gave me a coupon and another pair discounted for torn packaging) and some we didn't (sparkly nail polish and Christmas pajamas). We bought some gifts to contribute to a family in need. We considered more Christmas lights for our home (but ultimately decided to wait on them). We looked for some things we did not find, but they did not feel too urgent.


We came home in time for me to balance the budget and throw lunch together. I napped. We sat by the Christmas tree and crocheted and knit. I cooked a few things and we ate a dinner I made yesterday. We put together our gingerbread kit. It was a chill day, but a good day.


Sure, some things went wrong on Saturday. My husband and I started to get a little frustrated with other during our morning chat. We had to go back and forth across Walmart several times because we forgot things. Our Christmas card order was not ready. There were some sketchy people in the store. My husband's anticipated Amazon package didn't ever come to our house. We spent the day together, though. Chores did not weigh heavily. We had margin. We enjoyed our home. We enjoyed being together.

While not a momentous day, Saturday was a good day, a simple day, a sustaining day. Sometimes I look for big events for best days, but maybe best days are more about the small things, the little things, the time together that cements forever. Praise God for proof of that in Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment