Monday, February 1, 2016

January: Progress Not Perfection

To keep myself accountable, I'm going to give a January update on THE LIST. Let's just say I'm progressing, but not getting nearly close to perfection.

1) GO! on a cruise.
I have a date in mind. My friend and I are still talking about this idea. I think we're going to wait until last minute to book our voyage. That might be a good plan, or a bad plan that will lead to not accomplishing this resolution....

2) Stop checking e-mail on my phone while at work.
This is going well, but I find that computer use is still sucking up my time. I'm trying a suggestion from the article "3 Easy Way to Unplug" to limit my computer use to two hours outside work (Asp, 2016). Two hours sounds like a lot until I realized from my Rescue Time reports that I usually average way longer than that each day. Maybe that is why I have no free time.

3) Use more glass storage containers and less plastic.
My mom gave me a new mason jar lid at Christmas time, and it's made using my old mason jars so much fun! I especially like packing my oatmeal breakfasts in them.

4) Find my rambunctious side again.
Umm...well, I'm not sure where it's gone. I'm not really finding it yet.

5) Memorize some new scripture, or at least review the old.
It's almost February, and I've barely gotten through the first chapter of Ephesians that I already memorized. My brain doesn't seem to absorb verses like it used to, but I must keep trying. God's Word is important!

6) Clean out the pantry (fridge, freezer, et. al) and go on a grocery spend fast until it is done.
Done! (For the most part.) I have some leftover frozen jalapenos in the freezer and some condiments in the fridge, but otherwise, I worked through all my leftovers. It was a good experience.

7) Purge excess. Soak up blessing.
I purged the kitchen, closet, and paper files. I have a big pile for our house yard sale and I shredded a lot. I'm still trying to figure out how to appreciate God's blessings without finding pleasure in them, instead of in Him.

8) Run a 5K.
I got on what I call "trots" twice a week. I don't like to run outside in the cold, but I don't like to run inside, or take to the treadmills, which means I don't really want to run (or rather, "trot,") much at all. My housemates are doing the Couch to 5K training, though, and we hope to run a house 5K together in March. Hopefully that keeps me motivated.

9) Embrace the quiet.
Sometimes I fill even the quiet with excessive, obsessive reading. This goes along with number 11). I'm still trying to learn to rest.

10) Pursue counseling licensure.
I mailed off my 14 (??) page application on Friday, complete with notary signature, birth certificate copy, driver's license copy, fingerprints, an official transcript, a self-inquiry into my criminal records, and a hefty sum. Now I wait....

11) Rest.
I had one evening where I really rested. Other times I just find myself in a frenzy, or find myself with no time. Learning to rest is no joke!

12) Trim down the processed. Bulk up the produce.
With the grocery store fast, I got out of the habit of eating lots of produce. And I'm still trying to figure out how to balance eating lots of produce with getting vital nutrients from other food groups (dairy, protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats, etc.). More to learn...

13) Bullet journal plan—streamline my to-do list.
This is going well, except when my bullets surpass my planner space and end up back on a traditional messy list. (This especially happens on weekend days when I want to accomplish a lot.)

14) Finish the books I have and read more.
I'm reading, but not enough. A friend made a New Year's Resolution to read a book a month. I'd like to join her, but I don't think I'll make it this month. I just don't have as much time as I thought.

15) Spend time with and love the people around me.
My housemates and I have dinner together every Tuesday night. I have spent special time with other friends, but this is the greatest blessing that has come from resolution 15.

16) Blog. Instagram. Something. (Experiment.) 
Well here you go. I started this blog. It's takes more time than I expected to blog, so I'm debating trying Instagram or something with less of a time commitment, but we'll see.

Reference
Asp, K. (2016). 3 easy ways to unplug. Cooking Light, January/February, pp. 69-70.

No comments:

Post a Comment