Monday, August 22, 2016

Salted Cardamom Apple Oatmeal

I made The Oatmeal Artist's strawberry cardamom oatmeal last Sunday, and honestly, I was disappointed. I found the porridge bitter and tart, not sweet and spicy like I wanted. Even the coconut cashew butter tasted bland. The Oatmeal Artist's statement, "I will not rest until I add cardamom to every single thing I can think of," got me thinking, however. I paid a good price for my little bottle of cardamom. I do like its spice. But how? Enter salted cardamom apple oatmeal.



This is how: Tender apples stewed with cardamom and vanilla, a dollop of coconut cashew butter, and a sprinkle of pink Himalayan sea salt. This is the best bowl of oats I've had in awhile, hands down.

Ingredients:


For the stewed apples:
1 small apple (I used gala), diced
1/4 t cardamom
1 t vanilla
3 T water
(Technique adapted from The Breakfast Drama Queen's Apple and Cherry Strudel Oatmeal)


For the oats:
1/2 c rolled oats
1 c water
 

For topping:
The Oatmeal Artist's Coconut cashew butter
A sprinkle of sea salt

Directions:


1. Combine apple, cardamom, vanilla, and water in a small sauce pan. Cook until liquid reduces to a thick syrup and apples are tender.
2. Remove apple from pan. Add water and oats. 
3. Bring water and oats to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
4. When oats reach the desired consistency, add the stewed apples. Stir to combine.
5. Transfer oatmeal to a bowl and top with coconut cashew butter and sea salt. (The sea salt is a must as it both enhances and blends the flavors.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment