Monday, August 1, 2016

New Life

Second Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here!" Paul is primarily talking about the new life that comes through Christ by redemption and faith. I believe that a walk with Jesus is a constant process of redemption, renewal, and restoration, however. I see evidence of this in my life now. God moved me to move to Arizona. He allowed my parents to bless me by allowing me to live with them. He gave me a job. These changes have been good, and hard. They are changing my goals and priorities.


2) Stop checking e-mail on my phone while at work.
I did turn my phone e-mail on, but we're not supposed to use social media at work, so I try to keep my phone put away and only use the e-mail function when necessary.


3) Use more glass storage containers and less plastic.
Mom has a GREAT stash of glass mason jars. I enjoy using them for yogurt, overnight oats, etc. This is a benefit of living at home.


5) Memorize some new scripture, or at least review the old.
I'm still working on Colossians. I'll be honest that I still don't want to engage my brain to memorize. I just want to check out and relax. When I do study the Scriptures, however, God's truths ring loud and clear, like when I studied Colossians 3:17-24 that talks about serving God and not human masters. I had just started my new job and wanted to please people. God reminded me that I need to please him.


7) Purge excess. Soak up blessing.
I threw out a lot of  childhood stuff when I moved back into my room at home. Memories are memories, but at some point the old stuff has to go to make room for the new.


8) Run a 5K.
I'm trying to train my body to run at the higher altitude here in Arizona. I hope to eventually run a 5K here.


9) Embrace the quiet.
With four people in a house, there is not a lot of physical quiet. I am trying to engage in quiet activities, however, like coloring on Sunday afternoons, especially while talking to my brother and sister-in-law on the phone.


10) Pursue counseling licensure.
Praise the Lord, I passed the NCE! I still don't know what to do about Arizona licensure, however. My current job isn't counseling, per se, but I believe God led me here. I am praying about what to do.


11) Rest.
Rest is a struggle. There is always something going on. Thanks to living at home, I do get to read the newspaper at snack time each night, though. I like that.


12) Trim down the processed. Bulk up the produce. (In my diet)
Another blessing of home: fresh green beans, squash, etc. from Mom's garden. Mmm!


13) Bullet journal plan—streamline my to-do list.
I made some paper lists while not working, but mostly use my planner now. Yeah!


14) Finish the books I have and read more.
I've read one whole book this month: Gilead, a parting gift from my housemate. I would like to read more, but see 11).


15) Spend time with and love the people around me.
Right now, I live with my parents and little brother, so I get the blessing of seeing them every day. We have family dinner each night. I walk with Mom on weekend mornings. We play games together on Sunday nights. I have missed this!


16) Blog. Instagram. Something. (Experiment.) 
I like Instagram (@myarizonaadventure), but must admit that I get carried away with it sometimes. Just like with every other part of my life, God needs to come first, and everything else, even good things, after Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment