Sunday, November 19, 2017

Thoughts on Tiredness, Thanksgiving, and Rest


I saw this quote some time ago on Instagram, and as I approach Thanksgiving break, it seems more and more apropos. I like what I do for work, but to be honest, I am tired. The weight of the pains and tragedies of life has grown heavy over the past few weeks and I am in need of a break. My body is in agreement with me, too, as I have faced stomach pains and upsetness over the past two weeks of work and life. I am pretty sure it is due to too much stress, too little sleep, and a whole ton of rushing.

What about you, friends? Are you, too, in need of rest? We live in a hustle and bustle society, and it's easy to rush and do, do, do, even on, and sometimes especially on holidays. But holidays are an opportunity to rest, to re-evaluate our values, to focus on those nearest and dearest to us.

For those of you who are Christ-followers, the idea of resting on holidays is biblical. Look at Esther 9:17-19, for example. In that setting, the Jews feasted on food and drink and took a rest from their labors. In Matthew 11:28-29, Jesus calls people to cast their burdens on him in order to rest. Rest is something we need to do, and I would argue especially so this holiday.

The Lord knows I struggle with rest, but that's my hope for you, and for me this upcoming holiday. 


Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. I am about to, Lord willing, head off on another adventure, so I am posting this holiday greeting early. Follow me on Instagram to see more about what I'm doing for the holiday, that is, if I remember to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment