Monday, December 25, 2017

(In Some Ways) It Didn't Look Like Christmas.

In some ways, it didn't look a lot like Christmas at our home this year. In my previous jobs, I had weeks off around Christmas. This year I needed to take a day of vacation to get additional time off. That meant Christmas activities like gift wrapping happened at the last minute.



I went shopping for Christmas clothes on Saturday the 23rd, but didn't find anything on that short of notice. So I had to wear a skirt that my Mom found in the back of the closet.



Our church has gone through an intense season of change. Christmas choir wasn't thought of until the last minute, which meant we practiced for two hours instead of two four weeks. I felt very nervous as we sang.

My brothers didn't come home this year, so it was just Dad, Mom, and I for the holidays. The house felt a little empty, as did our row at the Christmas Eve service at church.



This morning, instead of opening gifts with family right away, Mom and I went for a walk out on the plains. The three of us ate breakfast alone.


(Stollen and scrambled eggs)

One of my brothers called during breakfast, so we hurried up and ate in order to talk to him and his wife via Skype. Instead of oohing and aahing over gifts with family in person, we exchanged photos via text during gift opening. 


(Modeling my new flannel shirt)

We weren't at home for Thanksgiving, so we made turkey instead of ham for Christmas dinner. We made less sides because we had less people. Dinner tasted good, but didn't seem like a Christmas meal.


The temperature got up to 64 degrees today, so I spent time this afternoon washing my car. I have work tomorrow and need to be able to see out of my car windows.

Christmas was very different this year. In some ways, it was a time of mourning what was. In other ways, however, it has been a chance to make new memories. I appreciated my time off and tried to prioritize activities to focus on what was really important instead of what wasn't. Dad, Mom, and I spent extra time driving around to look at Christmas lights, something we enjoy, but don't always do much of when we have guests. The skirt I wore to church for Christmas Eve was the one my mom wore when she and my dad got engaged 33 years ago. The Christmas choir happened because people united instead of divided. Mom and I got to see the sunrise because we walked so early in the morning. We took more pictures than usual because of being apart from family, which means we have more documentation of our time together. Christmas dinner was uniquely satisfying because it wasn't what my taste buds expected. I didn't shiver because it was so cold outside and inside. Our "different" Christmas was a chance to remember what the holiday is really about: the little baby who came to earth in a manager to redeem us and make all things  new (2 Cor 5:17).


Please comment below with unique ways that you celebrated Christmas or saw God making things new in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment