Monday, April 27, 2020

Hiking is Healing.


I went hiking for the first time in a long time on Saturday. The hike turned out way longer than I intended, but when I got home, I felt such peace and calm. I texted my mom, "Nature is healing. I think God meant it that way."

Here are five reasons I believe hiking in nature is healing.

1) It causes us to stand in awe of God. Paul David Tripp writes that God created nature to amaze us and point us to God. Romans 1:20 says, "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

2) It reunites us with humanity. There is something equalizing about hiking. Old, young, even the handi-capable can do it (given the right trails). People smile. People help one another. People check in on one another. Common care and concern and compassion emerge.

*With thanks to the nice cyclist who turned me away from walking 16 more miles and checked to make sure I had water to make it back to my car.

3) It reconnects us with our bodies. We live in a society that pushes gym workouts and diets and man-made practices that are generally unsustainable. Hiking gets us out in the fresh air. It helps us feel our bodies. It causes us to recognize true hunger and thirst. It frees us from fast fixes and causes us to check in with what we really need (and hopefully have in our well-stocked packs).

4) It reminds us that we can do hard things. I was tired when I finally turned around on my trail. I didn't want to hike over three miles back to my car. But I did. I reminded myself that if I could run a half marathon, I could do this, and I did. I felt a little sore by the end, but not bad.

5) It gives us perspective. The Spirit speaks to me in the wilderness. I process. I gain new insight. I find renewed hope, fresh vigor, and creative insights. While I cannot always be in nature, I can carry these, it's gifts, back with me.
------------
Is hiking for everybody? No, maybe not. Is it a substitute for actual therapy? No. But it sure is beneficial, at least for me. Maybe you should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment