Thursday, April 30, 2020

I Quit Running...


...for 30 days. I like running. It has served me well in a lot of ways. I've enjoyed completing many races. I've gotten faster and run longer distances in the past year. But I have also gotten really, really tired. I have an excessive, obsessive personality. I have run a lot, especially up until this last month. I was trying to outrun my stress. Trying to outrun problems. Trying to run to deal with COVID. Just running too much. So when all my spring races got cancelled, I figured it was time to take a break, not from exercise, but from running. So I found myself a 30 day plan and had at it. Here's what happened:

Day 1: I don't like the workout. I feel high anxiety, sadness, grief, and feelings of loss. I realize that it's hard to get to my 10,000 daily steps goal on my FitBit. I'm just as hungry as when I was running and didn't expect it.

Day 2: I am sore. The workout was better. I am less thirsty and less hungry, but feel bloated and swollen.

Day 5: I am getting into this a little more. I find I am less hungry at breakfast, more hungry at lunch, and just as hungry at snack, but I've switched to craving protein than carbs. Walking is getting to be too much. Should I give it up and start coverting workout minutes to steps?

Day 7: Finally! A rest day. I go for a walk and am even more hungry.

Day 8: Legs day. I am less hungry, and my Fit Bit says I've burned a lot less energy for the spite despite moving such a large muscle group. 

Day 9: I feel bloated, weak, and tired. I don't like strength training very much.

Day 12: Easter. I really miss running. I usually like to celebrate with a run. Not this time.

Day 13: I like workout a little more, but I am also on the move more at work. So which is actually the cause of feeling good tired at the end of the day.

Day 14: I like the workout again. I skip my rest day to have two later? Finish early?

Day 16: I recognize that less hard workout days are good for me. That is one benefit of following a program. I am getting used to this life. I feel less bloated. My body feels more toned. I am only a little sore. I am figuring out ways to get my steps in most days.

Day 19: I complain about feeling tired. My husband notes that I seemed less tired when I was running. He suggests I go back to it. I tell him I'm waiting it out.

Day 24: Total body pyramid again. I hate pyramid workouts. Or do I? But I feel stronger than I remembered feeling the last time. I am using 10 pound weights for the most part now.

Day 25: I take a rest day to hike. I hike nearly seven miles despite not having even walked more than three miles in a row for many days. I am slightly surprised. My body can still do this!

Day 26: Three more days and a rest day. My heel hurts (from hiking, old shoes, ??). I'm tired of my daily 10 flights of stairs as my only running. Lord, help me be balanced when I go back. And may I not take running for granted.

Day 27:  I definitely feel stronger, but two more workouts....I'm ready!

Day 29: Last day. (Remember that rest day I skipped? It's coming tomorrow.) I'm glad I'm done. I did okay, but this workout plan was too much, at least with daily walking added on top. I feel like I "need" cardio and sunshine. I know weights are good for me, but I may just do the minimum.

Day 30: Rest day walk. The end. I look forward to running tomorrow.

----

In summary, I quit running for a time. It was hard, but as with all hard things, it got easier with time. I hope I don't have to quit running again, but I probably will, and now I know I can do it. 

Quitting running showed me some things: that I get easily stir crazy. That I can obsess. That if I have to choose exercise, I prefer cardio outside (even if walking). That our bodies are resilient. (Now if I can manage not to overdo running and maybe, just maybe take a rest or "off" season.) Lord willing, back to the streets tomorrow. I'll update later....

No comments:

Post a Comment