Thursday, June 10, 2021

Marriage, Year Two: The Highs

Two years. The highs, the lows. We have had them all. Maybe not every experience of life, but a lot of ups and downs for sure. In my book, anniversaries are time to celebrate, so this post will be about the highs of the year:

Making special dinners for my parents: My mom likes to go out to eat. At the peak of corona virus, few places were open and all of us were not feeling fully comfortable, so when it came to her birthday my husband and I devised a plan to make a fancy dinner for my mom at home. We shopped together and divided up the cooking. It was one of our first joint meal ventures, and it turned out well. We repeated the party (with different food)for her Mother's Day.

Hiking Piestewa Peak: This item was on my bucket list, and I wanted to cross it off with my husband. That meant waiting until the heat was bearable for him, which felt like a long time. The hike was harder than I expected. I got scared of the heights. I have no aspirations to do this hike again anytime soon, but we did it, and we did it together!

Fat Man's Pass: Hiking was on my December bingo. Fat Man's Pass was a place a friend took me, and I, in turn wanted to take my husband. It was a great hike and a great way to end the year. Spoiler alert: In the desert, you don't need winter jackets, even if it feels cold to start with. We got so sweaty!


Hassayampa Inn Christmas Stay: Friends gifted us a certificate for Hassayampa at our wedding, but with our move and COVID, we had not used it. We decided to spend Christmas in Prescott, and booked a stay at the hotel. Honestly, the accommodations were not great. (We had to slide into the bathroom sideways, probably because the original rooms had no bathrooms. There was also a lot of noise permeability.) Staying in the heart of Christmas town and having multiple opportunities to walk around the lighted square was memorable, however, especially since we spent quite a bit of our dating time there.


COVID vaccinations: Getting vaccinated was not great, but we did it for ourselves, our jobs, our loved ones, and our world. I got super sick after my second shot, like the sickest I have been of our married life. Getting to lie next to Chris on the couch all day and soak up his love and care was special, though. There is no one else I would rather spend my day invalid with.

5K: We trained for a 5K together. Like many other events, our race got postponed due to COVID. I decided to make a race and run anyway. Training, and the actual event were fun, especially since this is the first time we have done the whole process together.

Highs and lows, I am thankful for my husband, for two years of marriage, and for another year to make memories together. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment