Monday, June 28, 2021

Acting "As If"

I have a hard time trusting my husband. It is not that he is not trustworthy-he is. I just struggle to trust anyone. Although I know in my head that I am very needy, I am also a rugged individualist and want to do everything for myself. Top it all off with a fear of others disappointing me, and I get trust issues.

My husband said to me the other day, though, "I don't care if you trust me. Act as if." He did not take my trust struggles personally. He just gave me feedback about how to act. I appreciated that. No judgment. No emotional reaction. Just the facts.

I did not want to trust my husband that day, but I did, or at least I followed his advice to act "as if." It was not easy, but neither was trying to stand in solidarity. Since that time, I have tried acting "as if" a few more times, and you know what? It works!

I don't often feel like trusting. I don't often feel like doing a lot of things, for that matter, but sometimes I know the right thing and I just have to do it. I have to act as if until the feelings come, or don't come. I just have to act and keep going.

I don't know what you're going through, friend, but maybe you need to act "as if." Maybe you need to stand on faith rather than on fear. Maybe you need to follow facts over feeling. I know it is hard. Believe me. But it's worth it. Good things come to those who wait. Good things come to those who act.

No comments:

Post a Comment