Monday, January 10, 2022

Real Life Marriage: Relying on the Lord

You think when you marry a person that you are marrying your soulmate. You think that you are marrying your helpmate. You think that you have someone you can completely rely on. You may believe that you will have forever companionship. Lord willing, you will, until death do you part. But no one tells you that marriage will also cut you off from your support system. A godly marriage is such that it cleaves you to your spouse like nothing else. In doing so, it also distances you, at least to an extent, from other parts of your previous support system. Then, when you feel distant from your spouse, you feel alone like never before. All you have left is Christ. He is all you ever had anyway, but now you really feel it.

A spouse is not meant to fulfill you. A spouse is not perfect. He or she will fail. When they do, it hurts. It hurts a lot. It is scary. To take it out on them, though, would be sin, so you have to go to the Lord. You have to ask the Lord (again) to fulfill you and take care of you, for only He can do so perfectly.

Marriage reveals to you the depth of your pride, and how easily you sin. Yes, your spouse may sin, but so do you, and you often sin in response to sin. Marriage shows you, in a very painful way, how much you need the Lord.

I don't know if I have ever had to pray as hard, or recite as many scriptures, or sing worship songs (often tearfully) or preach truth to myself as often as I have had to do in marriage. Don't get me wrong. Singleness was hard. I love my spouse, and I am so grateful to God for our marriage. It isn't easy, though. It makes me need the Lord like nothing else. It make me rely on the Lord like nothing else. This is what I should have been doing anyway. Praise God that though often painful, he has brought me to this good thing called marriage to reveal this again and again to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment