Monday, September 26, 2022

What I Mean When I Say "I'm Overwhelmed"


Someone pointed out recently that I say, "I'm overwhelmed" a lot. I've been thinking about that phrase ever since. Yes, I do say "I'm overwhelmed" a lot. It's my go-to phrase. As such, it's probably come to mean too much.

I say I'm overwhelmed when I am genuinely have so many things to do, I don't know what to do. I say I'm overwhelmed when I am flooded with emotions and I cannot think clearly. I also say it when I am tired and want a break and know I need to push on to get things done. The load feels overwhelming in an emotional way, but in a physical sense, I am not actually overwhelmed. I just mentally want relief and release.

I also say I'm overwhelmed to get attention. I did not realize this until I started analyzing the times I say I am overwhelmed, and who I say it around. I usually only say it around people who are close to me. It's my request for someone to notice me, a request for help. Maybe the help I need is a quiet moment. Maybe the help I need is a hug. Maybe I need someone to share the physical or mental load with me. Maybe I just want to be appreciated. Overall, I just want to not feel overwhelmed.

When I say, "I'm overwhelmed," I really might be so overwhelmed that I don't think I can handle it. That is the true meaning of the word (Dictionary.com, 2012). I also might be saying I don't want to be alone in what I am facing. To be alone facing hard things is truly overwhelming, scary, even, because we were meant to live in community.

I am trying to say, "I'm overwhelmed less," and learn to ask for help more. I'm sure I'll still say it, though. If I say it around you, know it's because I trust you, because I think you might be able to help me. Please don't blow me off. Please listen. I am saying I need you.

Reference:

Dictionary.com. (2012). Overwhelm definition & meaning. Dictionary.com. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/overwhelm#:~:text=Overwhelm%20most%20commonly%20means%20to,when%20that%20is%20the%20expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment