Friday, March 29, 2024

The Simplified Life (Month 3 Update)

Y'all, life is anything but simple over here! Many people have told me to let more things go, but I just can't, or won't. Here's what I have been doing, though:

Continuing to pare down my food stores--

It taxes my executive functioning to constantly keep track of ingredients and try to keep them from going bad. Therefore, I keep trying to use more of them up. The more I use up, the more I can just cook from scratch, deciding once (a la The Lazy Genius), what to do with the next ingredients I buy. Though I value efficiency and saving money, I am also sometimes spending more to buy what I need, or closer to what I need, rather than the bulk version that is cheaper by unit. I am also trying to buy more multi-purpose than single use items (eg Greek yogurt that can work in several recipes versus sour cream that only works for one.) All of this means I can zero-sum budget by pantry more quickly, and keep things more fresh.

I am finding some joy return to cooking. If I have got to do it, might as well enjoy it! This month, I have made a lot of gourmet grilled cheese. It's been fun. It's been fresh, and it has used up more of my stashes. Win all around!

Simplifying dates--

I love a good adventure, and I love my husband and enjoy spending time with him. In this season, though, intense, complicated dates just aren't for us. Rather, our dates have be short, simple, and meaningful. We have to make use of the time that we have and make it quality, because quantity sure isn't here right now. Lately, that has looked like taking 20-30 minute walks around town, trying out a new pretzel shop, and even running errands together. As my husband says, time together is what counts!

And that's a wrap on this month. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Please feel free to share in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment