Saturday, March 30, 2024

Lent 2024


I didn't write much about Lent this year. It's not because I didn't do it, but because I simplified. Intensive, well-thought out fasts are good, but I have a tendency to feel like I always need to go bigger and better. This year wasn't the year for that. I went simple and small, engaging in fasting from two things from which I have fasted before: chocolate and Instagram. At first it was hard, as I usually indulged in both of these several times a day. Eventually, though, it just became force of habit.

The goal of fasting is supposed to be to focus on Christ. Honestly, I'm not sure I did that. I just simplified my life a little bit. Did that give me more time and space? Yes, and no. I still found myself wanting comfort food, and I sought it out. I still scrolled to zone out, albeit Facebook, news, and podcasts instead of Instagram. Basically, I am not sure fasting made much of an impact.

As I break that fast and introduce these things back into my life, though, can it increase my appreciation for Jesus? Will the joy of them remind me to joy in Jesus? I hope so, but we shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment