Friday, October 2, 2026

Foods of Ireland and Scotland (Weeks 38-39)


We didn't quite do a food tour on this trip, but I did try some new stuff, some not so local, and some local: Coke Zero (for caffeine) on the plane, Dot's pretzels, sweet coffee (not normal, but this brew was stiff), flat white coffee, and mocha coffee; different types of rolls and breads. (The Guinness and treacle bread with this seafood chowder was by far the best!)

Chips (potato fries) came with almost everything (including the Italian classic lasagna!), and I was not complaining (though I did start to miss salads and fresh veggies after a while). I found it interesting to observe the origins of fruits.

I got a great oaty "flapjack" at a coffee shop. I thought it was something special, but then discovered it was just a homemade granola bar.

I expected Weetabix to be healthy tasting, but liked them so much I brought back a box of 48! Crumpets tasted kind of like English muffins with a sourdough tang. (I want to make these with sourdough!)

Scottish scones were more fluffy and biscuit shaped rather than flaky. Clotted cream tasted a lot like cream cheese. Tattie scones did not taste as much like potatoes as I expected. I liked them cooled rather than fresh. (They seemed kind of oily then.) Chips still came with most meals. Irn Bru is a soda unique to Scotland, but I didn't get to try that. Overall, there seemed to be a strong Indian influence on food.

I bought a few oat things in Scotland to bring home to try. I had hoped to experience the local food more, but between our hotel and the schedule, that did not really work out. There is always next time. (Or is there?) I will say that this trip inspired me to try some new cooking pursuits. I found quite a few good Irish/Scottish recipe blogs....

No comments:

Post a Comment