Monday, January 25, 2016

Hot Chocolate Oatmeal


Continuing with my “to-go” oatmeal theme, I tried a new spin on my favorite peanut butter chocolate applesauce oatmeal. That recipe used up the last of my applesauce, so I needed a new filler. So this is what I tried.


Ingredients:


½ c. quick cooking oatmeal
2 T flax seed
2 T cocoa powder
1/3 c. powdered milk
1 c. water


Directions:


1. Bring water and oats to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
2. When oats reach desired consistency, stir in flax seed, cocoa powder, and milk powder.
3. Add additional water to thin out the oats.
4. Simmer until the flax seed has re-thickened the oats to desired consistency.




(This is a normal Saturday breakfast table for me: oatmeal, water, vitamins, my planner, and a whole lot of God’s Word and journaling to help me get a good start!)


The recipe turned out great! The flax seed (which becomes thick when mixed with water) extended my oats and gave them flavor. The cocoa powder and milk made the oatmeal rich and creamy. Another win for using up my pantry supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment