Monday, June 10, 2019

Wedding Day


This is the day I've waited for, and yet given up waiting for. It's a mix of excitement and solemnity, joy and fear. I'm calm, but yet anticipatory. I'm present, and at the same time my brain has no more capacity for presence.

This day has been a long time coming. I'm 31, after all. And I had pretty much given up on marriage a few years ago. But as my friends pointed out at my bachelorette party last night, God made a way for he and I to be together, and the Lord is where I want the focus to be today.

Marriage images Christ's life-giving love for the church. Marriage points to a good greater than us. Marriage reveals more about who God is and what He has done and is doing.

He and I went back and forth about what songs to use for the wedding. In the end, I decide to walk down the aisle to, "God Will Make a Way." It was supposed to be an instrumental version, but somehow the version labeled instrumental still has words. I think that's the way God wants it to be.

The whole song won't play while I walk down the aisle, but if it did, these are the lyrics you'd hear:

God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me

He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way, He will make a way
....

By a roadway in the wilderness, He'll lead me
And rivers in the desert will I see
Heaven and Earth will fade but His Word will still remain
And He will do something new today

God has made a way in the wilderness for me. Today He will start something new in the marriage of my husband and I. I don't know what's ahead, but I know the God who is ahead, and who has been behind and before.

To Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment