Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Flops and Faves

Of the many things I'm enjoying about marriage, cooking is one of them. Sure, I cooked at my parents' house, but now it's kind of my responsibility (or at least a responsibility I've taken on, because my husband is also an excellent cook). Here are a few of our flops and faves from the recent days:

Flops:

This Moroccan split pea soup (Recipes from a Pantry)


We expected a thick, rich, soup, and well, this one wasn't. And the split peas didn't really cook all the way. Oh well. We enjoyed it anyway.

Zucchini lasagna (Skinny Taste)



Okay. This wasn't really a flop. It was good the first few times, but it was a lot of work, and I was TIRED of it by week's end. (Chris said he wasn't. So maybe we'll make it again, but probably not for awhile.)

Cajun cabbage and noodles (Budget Bytes)



Again, this wasn't really a flop. It was good the first time, but didn't reheat well, and well, we had it for days.

So maybe the lesson in this is that flops aren't flops. They're just not something I want to eat over and over again.

Faves:

The best weeknight pasta sauce (Budget Bytes)



We've made this twice. (I omit the butter sometimes.) It's so good. And so fast and easy. 

BBQ beef and beans (Budget Bytes)



This was easy and filling and good over rice or on its own.

Eggs Florentine breakfast pizza (Budget Bytes)



I made this several times at home before making it for Chris and I. But it's good, especially the garlic white sauce. And the ingredients needed to make it are minimal.

Noticing a theme here? Budget Bytes is seriously one of my favorite recipe sources.

Bonus:

Chris is a big fan of sauces, so I've been trying to make a new one each week. Here's what we've sampled thus far:

Creamy cilantro sauce (Gimme Delicious)



Homemade ranch dressing (Budget Bytes)




Tzatziki (Cookie and Kate)



The tzatiziki takes the cake (or the taco or rice plate) for now.

Any favorite recipes to share? Please post in the comments section. And we continue to try new recipes, so stay tuned....


No comments:

Post a Comment