Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I'm Still Eating Coconut Oil.

You might not be able to tell, but there's coconut oil on my pancake. 

Yes, I'm still eating it.

I've seen a lot of people freaking out over the American Heart Association's advisory against saturated fat (which I might note is about reducing all saturated fat, not just the kind in coconut oil). They're saying we shouldn't eat it, or at least that we should replace it with a "better fat." You know what? Coconut oil is my "better fat." I used to eat margarine and spreads with trans fat. And "they" said that wasn't good for you. I could see the logic, as trans fats are man made, so I decided to make a switch to a more natural, more "whole" food. (This is what I decided to do. You do what works for you.) I started with butter and didn't like the taste. Then somehow, I stumbled upon coconut oil, and the flavor grew on me. So I made the switch to coconut oil as my bread spread and baking oil (though sometimes I use olive oil if its flavor fits better with what I'm making.) And I liked it.

To be honest, I've only skimmed the American Heart Association article and I'm not dwelling on it because I've already made my decision about what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing because you know what's worse for me than coconut oil? Stress. If I really believe everything I read about food and health, there will be nothing to eat and more exercise than I could possibly do. I'm choosing to be content with my life and my current way of doing things. If you're convicted differently, great! But I'll take your coconut oil.

*Thanks to Emily Fonnesbeck for her article that inspired this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment