Monday, April 23, 2018

Only in Arizona...

I dubbed my currently inactive Instagram account My Arizona Adventure, but haven't written about this great state recently. (You might not think Arizona is so great after this post, though.) Here a few "only in Arizona" headlines from recent history and the distant past:


Roadside attractions:
  • Castle Hot Springs Gets a MakeoverCome one, come all! Makeover your vehicle by traveling the rutted dirt roads to this elusive resort. It will only cost you $800-$1,000 a night once you get there, tow bills extra.
  • The Trees are the Reason for Excess Water Use: But not for the reason you'd think. I wash my car in Arizona more than anywhere else because of the trees. We live in a desert for crying out loud, but the pine trees drop sap that continually covers my windshield and makes it hard to see. So I'm out in the driveway watering my car instead of the trees.

Wildlife:
  • Bobcats Kills Rattlesnakes in the Middle of the City. This video went viral. My sister-in-law in Texas actually saw it first and told us about it.
  • Feeding Wildlife May Result in Death of Animals; Don't Do It! My favorite quote is this one: "The dog was current on its rabies vaccination. The mountain lion was not." The mountain lion at the zoo is there because mountain lions are not acceptable pets in this state. Pet mountain lions are the only ones likely to get rabies shots....
  • It's Open Season! One of my parents' customers had a feral pig ruining her yard. She was told by Game and Fish that the pigs came to the area via an illegal Rottweiler fighting ring, but no worries. Game and Fish said she could pull out her firearm and take the pig out of commission herself. It's open season, so no permit is needed.
  • Llamas on the Loose (circa 2015). Llamas were footloose and fancy free on the streets of Phoenix. Seriously! Watch the video.
  • Missing Goat. Reward! Apparently someone visited our in-town neighborhood with a goat, and it got loose. Where it went, nobody knows.

1 comment: