Monday, April 16, 2018

Easter Island Trail

The week was so long and we were so tired that we almost didn't hike, but then we did. (That's the point of the #bucketlistproject, to live now, not later.) Mom and I had seen an article about Easter Island Trail in our local newspaper and immediately wanted to do it. We had to put it off until the appropriate time, however. The Saturday we chose turned out beautiful with sunshine, but a chilly wind that helped us stay cool as the day warmed.

We walked the Peavine Trail to get to the trailhead. Right away, Mom stopped me with a hand on my arm and said, "Look, look!" There was a herd of deer running down by the lake. The lake is super low right now and I have been on this trail several times, but not seen deer, so this was a special sight.

Going a little bit further, we saw some white birds. Mom whipped out her binoculars and saw that the birds were swans! I have never seen swans in Prescott either, but apparently they exist.



It was about a mile and a half to the trail head.



At that point we cut off and started the switchbacks. These were easy switchbacks, but enough to get our hearts pumping. The trail had lots of great overlooks.



 The rock formations were pretty fantastic. (The rock formations are the reason for the Easter Island name.)



We also saw some beautiful flora and fauna along the way. We don't have a lot of green in Arizona, but the cacti are pretty beautiful when they flower.



The way the rocks are stacked in the Dells reinforces my belief in a worldwide flood.



We cut off Easter Island Trail to Quartz Creek Trail. We saw this line of quartz going through the granite and then almost every stone became quartz. It was so cool that I forgot to take a picture of that part of the trail!



We walked back to Peavine trail via Boulder Creek. 


In total, we walked almost five miles.





It was a good hike, but not too tiring that we couldn't go grocery shopping afterwards. 

I had it on my bucket list to hike one new trail this year, and technically I hiked three with this adventure. I was healthy and Mom came with me, so this hike was a quintuple win in my book! Thanks Over the Hill Gang and Prescott Parks and Recreation for the work they put into this new trail.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for God's creation and that we got to share it together. Mom

    ReplyDelete