Monday, December 9, 2019

Grand Canyon: The Trip of a Lifetime

I wanted to hike the Grand Canyon this year, but after getting married and going on our honeymoon, I figured another big hiking trip was out of the question. But then our friends asked us to go in a three day, two-night excursion, staying at the lodge in the bottom for two nights, and we couldn’t say, “No.” Getting time off work and gathering supplies in the midst of packing for a move took some finagling, but God made a way. Praise Him!


Day 1, we got up at 5 am and headed out the door by 6 to meet our friends at 6:30. We drove two and a half hours to Supai, getting stopped for a security check on the way. (The reservation is dry, so no alcohol in or out.) After dropping off our gear and the guys parking the cars in Timbuktu, we made a quick bathroom stop and started the hike in. The first one to two miles was downhill. And then there were six more before the village on the flat. To be honest, the views weren’t great to start with, but got better as we walked on. Soaring red stone walls. Fall colors in the trees. And then the minty green of the mineral rich water.


We stopped a few times on the way in. There were no facilities, but we packed water, and there were bushes as needed. I started out in a windbreaker, ear warmer and gloves, but stripped down to my t-shirt as time wore on, the sun rise, and temperatures got warmer as we decreased our elevation. We made it in about three and a half hours. I only drank about 16 oz of water and ate half a peanut butter sandwich and some carrots, which probably wasn’t enough, but I made it.


We got to the lodge and, wow! I’d expected metal cots, stiff sheets, and scratchy blankets, but this was nice! They even had toiletries out for us and wireless internet! We took a short break and then trekked to Havasupai Falls.


The walk to the Falls wasn’t long, a mile or two, but it took awhile to get there because we kept stopping to take pictures. Even the “baby” falls on the way were beautiful! Of course, we had to stop and take lots of pictures at the actual falls. We planned to eat dinner at the village restaurant that night, but alas, it was closed, so Jet Boil and freeze-dried dinners, it was. Honestly, the food tasted so good. And the hot showers were amazing! We played a few games with friends and then I ate some more (like a LOT more), and went to bed.


Day 2, we were up-and-Adam early again, but didn’t start hiking until about 8:30 am. And then we basically didn’t stop hiking. We stopped briefly at Havasupai Falls to see them in daylight, but then went to Mooney Falls. Getting there was an adventure! The signs said to descend “at your own risk,” and man, was it risky, like slippery rocks, eely ladders, and letting yourself down by chains. But we made it!

And then we continued on to Beaver Falls. These were supposed to only be a few miles further, but if they were, those two miles took forever. There were three creek crossings, though (two of which I waded through, and one of which Chris carried me through because I was naive and didn’t wear a swimsuit and the crossing was waist high). The water was cold at those crossings! And then we had more ladders and rock climbing, though not as steep or dangerous or slick as Mooney. But by the time we got there, I was too cold and tired to get in. So I stood on the bank and ate my sandwich and watched while the other seven in our group played.


I wanted to get back, bad, so Chris went ahead with me and literally carried me through all three water crossings. (We talked about it later, and he saw that I was struggling and wanted to help.) I climbed up from Mooney Falls unassisted because I needed to use the bathroom and there was one at the campsite.


The others in our group opted for fry bread that night. Chris and I opted to Jet Boil again and take hot showers. I’m thankful we did. The others in our group got back after dark, and felt sickish the next day. And getting back early meant earlier to bed.


Day 3, I wanted to get up and go, especially since rain was forecasted, but others wanted to get out later. And we were sore from all the waterfall climbing. So out at 8 am and out of the Canyon by 11:30. The trek back was really not that hard to me. But we had overcast skies and cooler temperatures. Sun and heat would have made it a different story. I drank about 3/4 of my two liter Camelbak that time and snacked on some carrots. I basically climbed the whole way, with a few stops for pictures. The climb did not seem too bad, especially since we’d trained on Glassford Hill, with two mile ascents at higher altitude.


After another bathroom stop and a hike to the car, we headed for Seligman. Then it started raining. Man, were we glad to be out!


We stopped for a late lunch at Roadkill Cafe, wanting real food after all our snacks. I thought I wanted a burger, but settled on a Reuben instead. I think it was all the salt that made it taste good. I’m not normally a Reuben girl, but I ate the whole thing.


I was tired that evening, but not too bad. My main ailment was my left foot, on which the tendon on the bottom hurt. (Chris said it was probably due to hiking miles in our water shoes on Tuesday. That made sense.) But I was able to run the next day and made it through work. The trek really wasn’t as rough as I expected.


It’s hard to convey in words all that this trip was. It’s not often in life that you literally spend three days doing little more than walking and talking and eating and taking in the scenery. I’m thankful. So thankful. And I’m also thankful for the way God unknowingly prepared me for this with the half-marathon training, which taught me to eat and drink while I exercise (versus only before and after) and push further than I expected my body could go.


I’m thankful for the people I went with, not only their company, but also their pace (because I like to move). I’m thankful for my husband, who packed most of our stuff in, and packed me over those river crossings. I’m thankful for the lodge and it’s amenities. I’m thankful for the Jet Boil our friend loaned us and freeze dried food. I’m thankful that I did this with my husband instead of my family as I’d originally wanted, as he pushed me further than I’d have gone myself, and also helped me find courage I haven’t accessed when with my family. This trip was just amazing, and truly a blessing from God.



“Would you do this again?” My husband asked me on day one or two.
“The jury’s out,” I said.
Ask me now, and I’d say, “Yes, probably.” But I know no second or third trip will be as special as this one, with these people, at this time, seeing these places that I’d never seen before. Life’s been crazy, and this trip came at a crazy time, but it was a little once in a lifetime thing. To God be the glory!



2 comments: