Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Unilateral Decisions

I did an "oopsie" last week. I made a decision without consulting my husband. It's not that I can't make decisions on my own, or that my husband will not let me make my own decisions, but rather that I no longer make unilateral decisions. When I make decisions, we make decisions. We are two that have become one, so one person's decisions affect the other. That is the way marriage works.

We are still navigating what it means to do life together as one. That includes deciding what types of decisions we can make on our own and which we should consult one another about. In fact, I initiated a discussion about that the night I made the "oopsie" decision. My husband wasn't mad, and he agreed with my decision, but we needed a framework for making future such decisions. We made one, and we will see how it holds up. 

Marriage is definitely a learning process, but just like everything else, it's not a unilateral one. We learn together, not separate. We only have this learning to do because we are together. May the Lord Himself, whose love for the church we image in marriage, and the greatest Decision-Maker of all time, be our guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment