Friday, May 27, 2022

Afghan 70

I am going to affectionately call this the scrunch blanket. No, it wasn't supposed to be this way. It ended up with a scrunch due to a year of off and on work, different tension strengths over the course of that time, and many mistakes. I am not proud of this blanket, but in a way, I also am, because it took a lot of willpower to finish.

I used the wintergreen crochet baby blanket pattern for this one. I am not sure exactly how I was supposed to change colors, but to avoid constantly cutting and tying yarn, I ended up with four strings of yarn off one blanket. These tangled often, leading to much frustration. The pattern had multiple intricacies, like crossed single crochets, single/double crochet pattern, and using only back loops. I forgot some of these intricacies from time to time, which contributed to the scrunch.

I used Mainstays pink and white yarn for this afghan, along with Red Heart pumpkin. The different brands of yarn probably did not help with my gauge, and the scrunch. As usual, I crocheted with my ergonomic J hook.

In summary, finishing this afghan took perseverance. It goes to a special little girl whose parents have long awaited her arrival, not without some sorrow along the way. My struggle grows dim in light of the wonderful gift that she is. For this reason, I am thankful and excited to have completed the blanket when I did, in hopes that it will accentuate the joy of her birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment