Monday, May 23, 2022

Convicted...By a Mug!


I have a mug that reads, "Trust the process." The other morning, it convicted me. Yes, the mug, I mean God, by way of my "Trust the Process" mug, or maybe I should say mugs, plural, because I used it in conjunction with my "Mrs." mug. I felt the Spirit's nudge asking me, "Do you 'trust the process' for marriage? Do you trust God's process for marriage?" I want to be a
good wife. I want to be a godly wife. I want to be those things now, and I am not. That's because marriage is a process.

Marriage is a process of getting to know each other. Marriage is a process of learning one another's likes and dislikes. Marriage is a continual process of figuring out how to communicate in clear and kind ways. Marriage is navigating the ups and downs of life, loving one another all the while. Marriage is learning (and accepting) family backgrounds. Marriage is explaining and exploring values. Marriage is laying down pride and becoming selfless. None of these things happen overnight.

Marriage is a process, God's process, and ultimately one of sanctification. Does God need marriage to sanctify people? No. He can do it by his very Spirit. For me, though, in my season and in my lot in life, marriage is one of the ways that God is conforming me into his image. May I accept this process. May I be patient in it. May I trust it. Ultimately, may I trust the originator of this process, for only He can continue to perfect it in me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment