Monday, February 5, 2018

Dismissing Compliments

"You're doing a good job," my supervisor told me.

"Yeah, and now I need to get well." I replied. (I've been feeling under the weather for awhile.) I've been waiting to hear those words of affirmation at work, and then I totally dismissed them! Why did I do that?

I am a perfectionist, and I work hard. I want affirmation. I often get fussy when I feel undervalued or underappreciated. Realizing how I dismissed this comment makes me ask, questions of myself, however. "Do I really recognize it when people give me approval? Or do I blow it off?" If I'm blowing people off or discounting what they say, who am I complain? They're giving me what I've asked for, and I'm dismissing it.

When I think about my relationship with God, I wonder if I treat him the way I sometimes treat affirmation. How many blessings of God do I dis-acknowledge or dismiss? Meanwhile, I complain about what God hasn't given me. No good! That doesn't honor Him or benefit me.

So here's to reopening my eyes and my ears, to recognizing and acknowledging compliments when given. To appreciating God's gifts and complaining less. After all, Philippians 2:14 says to "do all things without complaining" (New King James Version, emphasis mine). I've got a ways to go on that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment