Thursday, February 22, 2018

Lacking No Good Thing

A pastor recently preached a sermon on Isaiah 40:27-31 at church. He talked about how God sees us in our hard times. He stated that God might have us in a season of discomfort because that's where he wants us so that he can accomplish His purposes. That comment really resonated with me. I don't want to be where I am, but this is where God has me.


This season of life is uncomfortable. I want a lot of things right now that I don't have. I want to be married and have a family of my own, even if it doesn't include kids. I want better health. I want less stress about my job, and a predictable schedule. I want to do well at my work and still have enough energy to have a social life, and more. These are all good things in theory, but yet Psalm 34:10 says, "Those who seek the Lord lack no good thing" (New International Version). I see now that the house I wanted to buy wasn't good for me. I really need my parents. But these other things? I don't know why I don't have them, other than that they must not be good for me right now.

In Psalm 16:6, David writes, "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." Regardless of how uncomfortable I am right now, I know that I have an eternal home in heaven. I know that I have a forever support in the indwelling Holy Spirit. I know that I can endure all things through Christ's strength (Phil 4:13). I can't discount the hard in life, but maybe I need a different perspective. Maybe I need the perspective that God has me here to learn, that this season is good for me. Maybe I need to start looking for God's comfort, rather than worldly comfort. I know I need to complain less and celebrate God's provision more. If I lack no good things, that means I have good things in this uncomfortable season, and I need to start looking for them.


I'm linking up with Amanda at Running with Spoons for this Thinking Out Loud post.

No comments:

Post a Comment