Thursday, February 8, 2018

Be Kind.

I've had a Bible verse rattling around in my head a lot lately. It says, "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord" (Rom 12:9, New International Version [NIV]). This verse is pertinent to a lot of situations in my world and in the world, but I think it also relates to kindness and empathy. How so? Let me explain.

When I want to take revenge, when I want to get even, I'm not trusting God. I'm trying to take things into my hands, to exercise my control over the situation. And guess what? I'm not in control.

Kindness, in a similar manner, is rooted for me in a trust in God. I have to trust that God is fair and just, that he created all people, and that I need to view and treat them as such. In the Parable of the Vineyard Workers, the Master states, "'Should you be jealous because I am kind to others?’" (Matt 20:15, New Living Translation). When Jonah gets mad that God spared the city of Ninevah from destruction, God says, "'Is it right for you to be angry?'” (Jonah 4:4, NIV). In these verses, I see God clearly saying, "Be kind. Trust me. I'll take care of things."

Not everyone who reads this believes in God or has a relationship with Jesus, I know (but you can!) But seriously, can we be a little kinder in the world? We're not in control! None of us are perfect. If we stopped thinking we could right the world, maybe the world would be a little more right.



I'm linking up with Amanda at Running with Spoons for this Thinking Out Loud post.

No comments:

Post a Comment