Tuesday, March 20, 2018

I Thought It Was Just Me (Book Review)


I've been able to define the difference between shame and guilt for some time. Shame means I am something bad. Guilt means I did something bad. Brene Brown gives a larger context to shame in her book, I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't), however. She explains that shame disconnects us from our basic human need for acceptance and belonging. It forces us far away from our true selves, and the support we need from others to embrace our true selves. Brown's style in this book is definitely more scholarly than in some of her later writings, but her research is worth reading. In her book she explores not only the definition of shame, but ways that shame manifests in our culture, and ways that we can build shame resilience. Brene challenges readers to cultivate “ordinary change” in order to combat the shame culture, and I think that's something we all can do. Life isn't just about me. It's about others, too.


Any other Brene Brown fans out there? Have you read this book? Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment