Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Name It and Claim It!


We got into a discussion recently at church about the prosperity gospel. This is the idea that following Jesus will make you healthy, wealthy, and prosperous. Partakers in this movement claim that you can name a promise of God and have it. The problem is that the promises named are often taken out of context.

So what are promises of God that we can name and claim? Promises that speak to God's character and God's control. Promises that depend on God, and not on us. Here are a few that I believe we can name, claim, and receive!

God is with me.

Deuteronomy 31:8
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

God gives me strength to do what He calls me to do.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

God loves me.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Because of Christ, I am not condemned.

John 3:17
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Romans 8:1
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

1 John 1:9
 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

God saves me by grace, through faith.

Romans 5:1-2a
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. 

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast

1 Timothy 1:14
The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

*All scriptures are from The New International Version.

This list certainly isn't all inclusive, so feel free to share the truths of God you claim in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment