Wednesday, May 22, 2019

I Don't Deserve This...


I've been overwhelmed with well-wishes, kind cards, and sweet sentiments in this season leading up to our wedding. Thank you to all who have encouraged us and prayed for us! Your words mean a lot.

In this time of well wishes, however, I sense a need to set something straight: I've done nothing to "deserve" Chris or marriage. At best, I've repented of my many sins and invited the Holy Spirit to do His ongoing work of sanctification in my life. I've committed to follow the Lord and tried to honor Him with my life. At worst, I've moaned and groaned. I've lamented the life God has given me. I've been discontent. I've complained. I've questioned God to the point of borderline doubting His sovereignty. I've been jealous and angry and bitter. The thing I really deserve is God's righteous wrath. To say I deserve anything else would be improper theology. And to say I deserve the blessing of marriage because of the way I've lived would be to tell all my beautiful single friends that they're not doing something right. I refuse.

I am an imperfect person. Chris is an imperfect person. But God, in His grace, has brought us two imperfect sinners to the cusp of a union that can  conform us individually and corporately into the image of Christ. That's a blessing. That's a privilege. And it's a blessing and privilege that can only come from God and that will take God's infinite power to make it work.

I don't deserve any of this...but God. God deserves everything. To Him be ALL glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment